This x That:
- Stocks drop sharply amid double-dip recession fears.
- Paul McCartney suspects his phone had been hacked, will speak with police; Guardian assistant editor David Leigh admitted to phone hacking in 2006.
- New IMF chief Christine Lagard to be investigated.
- RIP: Rudolf Brazda, last surviving “pink triangle” prisoner, dead at 98. Also: Grease actress Annette Charles, at 63. And: Author Leslie Esdaile Banks, at 51.
- Polygamist cult leader Warren Jeffs found guilty of child sexual assault.
- Jerry Lewis no longer chairman of Muscular Dystrophy Association, won’t appear in annual Labor Day telethon.
- The Onion: “Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition.”
- Not The Onion: “Man known to lie in road is run over and killed.”
- Oprah Winfrey to receive honorary Oscar for her humanitarian work.
- E! to air four-hour Kim Kardashian wedding special.
Look At This:
- Mike Huckabee rewrites history, sells it to kids.
- NewsFeed: After Public Uproar, Chinese City Cancels Upcoming Dog Ban.
- Tea x Time List: The 6 Most Epic One Man Armies in the History of War.